Sunday, May 12, 2019

Doctor Who - The Secret in Vault 13

It's funny - I was never a fan of Doctor Who back in the '70s, when some American channels ran reruns of the Tom Baker episodes. I thought, even back then, they were cheesy and boring. So, I was surprised when the series returned in 2005 and I found that I liked it.  Although I still don't like the pre-Eccleston years, I have enjoyed the various series and incarnations of the Doctor since then. This newest Doctor, Jodi Whittaker, has really taken the Doctor and the show to entirely new ground, and the books that have come out recently about this 13th Doctor and her companions have been just as enjoyable as the show.

The Secret in Vault 13 is the first Doctor Who novel I have seen that is specifically aimed at a younger reading audience. What surprises me about this book, however, is not just that author David Solomons has captured the personality of each of the characters - no, what surprises me is that truly, there is no difference between this book for young adults and the regular books that come out for adults to read.  The story has the same amount of sci-fi wonder, the same amount of humor interjected throughout, and the same danger, evil villains, and high energy rescues that you find in the regular Doctor Who adventures.

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. The adventure centers around the Genesis seed (which reminded me very much of the whole Genesis project from the second Star Trek movie...) and the planet where it is being held for safekeeping, along with the seeds of pretty much every other plant life that has ever existed. Just, in case, you know, some evil villain decides to wipe out all life in existence - then someone can use these seeds to recreate life. Of course, the fact that someone knows where this place is makes it dangerous. And danger is what the Doctor and her companions do best!

Solomons sends the Doctor and her companions on a fun quest to find the necessary keys that will unlock the door to the container where the Genesis seed is hidden. To a school where graduation means death. And to a garden in London where when you are invited to dinner, you are actually invited to BE dinner! Of course, the Doctor, Graham, Yaz, and Ryan are up for the challenge as they face a lying artificial intelligence and a giant mole who demands a sacrifice, as well as ... a potted plant?  Yes, I said that right - a potted plant who is out for revenge against Graham! I mean, let's face it: where else could you possibly read a story like this, except in Doctor Who?

By the time I finished this book, I felt like I had watched a fantastic episode of Doctor Who. Characterization was spot-on, the dangers and challenges were faced with bravery and logic, and the Doctor, in her usual style, outwitted the bad guys with her own special style of ingenuity. I know there are some fans out there who are not pleased with the idea that the Doctor has swapped genders and is now a woman, but quite frankly it's not the gender that makes the Doctor - it's the heart(s) that make the Doctor who and what (s)he is. And Solomons has without a doubt provided a story of the Doctor that will please just about any fan of the series.

Hope there are more books like this for young adults - I'll definitely read them!

RATING:  10 strands of unstoppable noughtweed out of 10 for branching out the world of Doctor Who for younger audiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment