Friday, May 3, 2019

Redlands, Volume One: Sisters by Blood

Sometimes I pick something up for no other reason that to support local artists, and other times because the subject matter or locale of the story hits home with me.  In the case of the first volume of Redlands, it is because the story is set in Florida (where I live), as well as the fact I purchased it at a locally owned bookstore in Key West (which happens to be owned by Judy Blume - yes, THAT Judy Blume). Plus, it didn't hurt that the story involved a coven of witches and a bit of horror...

That being said, it has taken me nearly a year to finally get around to reading the graphic novel, and I have to say - I could have waited longer. The story was not overly exciting, and quite frankly, although this first graphic novel collects issues 1 through 6, in those six issues, I don't feel like I really got to know any of the characters, or even feel any empathy with any of them. Which is a shame, because I really wanted to like this.

The premise of the book is that a group of witches, back in 1977, took over the town of Redlands, Florida, killing a number of people in the process. Flashforward to the present, where the town has pretty much become adjusted to the witches who run it - except for the maniacal killer who is painting the town red - literally! The writer tries to integrate some love interests into the story, as well as a young protege who is being protected by one of the witches. And, of course, with any group project, there is one who is no longer thrilled with the choices being made. Yet, the drama in the story feels forced and contrived, and it didn't feel natural. Plus, the several sex scenes throughout the book came across as very gratuitous and unnecessary to the story.

There's not really a whole lot else I can say about this one, without giving away what are meant to be major plot points. The art by Vanesa Del Rey is dark and moody, and while not exactly to my taste, I will say it definitely fits the tone of the story. There is definitely blood, gore, violence, sex, and full nudity (both female and male), so by far, this is not a graphic novel for children. And, since the book ends on a cliffhanger moment, I'm assuming there may be additional volumes in the series out there. I, though, will not be looking for them.

I suppose you can't win them all, and while I have been fortunate over the years to have lucked upon some great stories in the independent graphic novels and comics that I have picked up, sooner or later that luck runs out, and it clearly did with this one.  Ah, well, you never know until you try, eh?  Besides, some other readers may enjoy the story more than I did.

RATING:  3 burning houses out of 10 for taking a chance with a non-super-hero, non-male-centric comic story.

No comments:

Post a Comment