Thursday, February 22, 2018

Supergirl, Book 1 - Age of Atlantis

As I am currently rehearsing this month for a play that I am in, finding time to read has been difficult (in between work, rehearsals, remodeling our bathroom, and learning lines for the play) - but, as anyone who loves to read will tell you - there's ALWAYS time to read!

DC Comics has recently come out with two series of young adult books based upon their popular television shows on the CW - a Supergirl series and a Flash series.  Since I recently read the two part Flash/Green Arrow adult novels recently, I figured I'd read the first book in the Supergirl series, Age of Atlantis.

The first couple of chapters started off a little slow, and, well, quite frankly, a bit childish.  Yes, I realize the target audience is pre- to early-teens; however, I expected the writing to be a little more advanced. But, then the unexpected happened - after I got past the second chapter, and the real meat of the story began to evolve (the sudden appearance of super=powered citizens within National City), I found myself intrigued.  And when the DEO reveals they have a sea creature, with whom they are unable to communicate, captured, I began to smile.  Without realizing it, the story - and the book - began to feel more and more like I was watching (reading) an episode from the Monday night TV show!

The story is set prior to the end of Season 2 of the television show.  Mon-El is still on board, Snapper Carr is still snapping at Kara, and Alex and Maggie are still together.  The gang is all here - Winn, with his technological nerdiness; J'onn, with his near-complete lack of humor; and James Olsen, with his crime-fighting alter ego - the Guardian.  Author Jo Whittemore does a fairly decent job at remaining faithful to the characterizations as established on TV, but I did find myself thinking of Winn more as Cisco (from The Flash) - particularly with his desire to name all of the supercitizens.

Ah, yes, the supercitizens.  I loved the way the author handled that aspect of the story.  Ordinary, everyday people who suddenly find themselves endowed with super-powers!  What would they do?  How would they react?  What would they think if Supergirl told them to stand down, especially when she's always been known to make a mistake or two herself?  And what happens when a group of them band together to ensure that they never lose those powers?  And, in true television fashion, just how is that sea creature from Atlantis tied into all of this?

This was a nice repast from the heaviness of this season's Supergirl and the whole "Reign" storyline that's going on.  Sure, Supergirl/Kara has some self-doubts; yes, James is still trying to compete for his superhero status, even without powers; and yes, people are actually happy (did I say that about a comic-related show?!?!).  Supergirl is the Girl of Steel that we all know and love - still new the game, but always thinking of others and always determined to do what's right.  It was fun, it had some great fight scenes, some nice tender moments, and an post-show epilogue that leaves the reader hanging for the next episode...er...I mean, the next book!  Definitely gives me hope that these DC young adult novels will be good reads, and hopefully, they will stick around for more than just one or two books (and let's hope we see a Legends of Tomorrow series in the future - no pun intended).

Oh, and did I mention there were a few little nods in the story....

On page 83, after being reprimanded by J'onn for a decision she made, Supergirl remarks, "...it's too late to change what I did.  Unless you want me to, I don't know, fly around the Earth a bunch and reverse time."  To which, Winn smartly replies, "Yeahhhh, I don't think that would actually work."

(For those who don't know, that's a direct reference to the first Christopher Reeve Superman film...)

On page 220, the sea creature (okay, okay, he's Atlantean) tells Supergirl, "You assumed I was the last of my kind.  That is untrue.  My king also lives ... He is reluctant to rule, but yes."

(Hmmmm, could there be an appearance by Aquaman in the future of Supergirl???)

On pages 150-51, Kara returns to CatCo and searches for "Vicky V," who is leaving CatCo for "that other paper," as Kara calls it.  Could that "other paper" possibly be in another city - one that happens to be home to a certain bat?  Hmmmmmmm...

All in all, the book was well-worth the read, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

RATING:  8 bear claws out of 10 for making me wish that the stories DC were telling in their comic books were this light-hearted and enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment