Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Misfit City TPB, Vol. 1

When Boom! Studios first solicited Misfit City as a monthly title, I was curious and considered picking it up - however, due to the numerous (and I do mean NUMEROUS) monthly titles David and I already buy on a monthly basis, I decided to pass and see if the trade paperback caught my eye.  Well, I missed ordering it through Previews, so when I happened across it at Barnes & Noble, and I had a coupon, I figured now was my chance.

Definitely well worth the purchase!

Now, before I start in, I have to admit - I have never seen the movie, The Goonies.  I, of course, have heard of it, and I've seen previews of it, and I've heard people talk about it, about how great it was, and how it was a true treasure of the '80s.  For me, though, it just wasn't my thing.  Back then, I was watching either Star Wars, Superman, or Friday the 13th.  So, although this book as advertised as an homage to The Goonies (heck, the story is based upon a city where the treasure-finding movie, The Gloomies, was filmed!), that did not give away anything for me, nor did it fill me with any pre-conceived notions about the story or the characters.  Which was a good thing, because for me, these first four chapters were fresh, and fun, and thoroughly enjoyable to read!

Wilder is the sensible one - but she's tired of the dull life that is Cannon Cove, and she's even more tired of all the "Gloomers" (as the fans of "The Gloomies" movie are called) who come to the town hoping to see all the sets and props from the movie that put the town on the map.  Karma is the charismatic one - she moves as the spirits move her, and she knows a good aura when she sees one.  Nancy is the tough one - she doesn't back down from a challenge, nor does she put up with the nonsense of all the Gloomers.  Dot is the bookworm - she's got the book-smarts and never lets a puzzle outsmart her.  And then there's Pip - the dog.  Yeah, that's pretty much all she is.  Well, she is a pretty clever dog, so there is that...

Kirsten "Kiwi" Smith and Kurt Lustgarten know how to tell a fun adventure story, there's no doubt.  Their characters are diverse and believable, the mystery is engaging, and the action is fast paced and keeps the pages turning.  Honestly, I didn't even realize this was more than a four-issue story until I reached that last page and said, "Oh, no, wait!  You can't leave it hanging like this!"  But, I suppose, that's good writing that leaves you waiting breathlessly to see what happens next.

Naomi Franquiz' art is a little rough and cartoonish in style, but it's not outlandish or unrealistic, and she is able to make each character so unique from the others, that even the side characters who only appear in a few panels have their own character to them.

And, yes, I had a geek moment when Wilder says "Holy Goldie Vance!" (making reference to the Boom! Studios series about a young girl sleuth).  Does it say something about me that I'm more excited by the one Goldie Vance reference that by all The Goonies references?  Makes me wonder if these characters are in the same "universe" as Goldie Vance, or if perhaps Wilder enjoys reading girl detective stories?  Hmmm.......

Misfit City is now on my must-read list, and I've already added Volume Two to my Amazon watch list so I can get it as soon as it comes out.  After all, I have to know what happens next!

RATING:  9 poker-playing dogs out of 10 for proving that four young women can have just as much fun, adventure, and mystery as a group of boys can!

No comments:

Post a Comment